Undeniably, millennials are the most globally aware generation so far. They are always updated with global news and are not afraid to express their opinions that affect the environment with the use of different social media platforms.
They often come up with new and simple ideas that make living life easier and still keep the environment safe.
Here are some of the millennial innovations of conserving the environment.
- Car sharing. This is a form of car rental wherein people technically rent a car for a specific ride. Uber and Grab are two of the top car-sharing companies in the world. These two companies offer carpooling wherein 3 to 6 passengers with almost the same route share the same car. By doing so, they are able to reduce air pollution and also help reduce traffic.
- Solar panels for solar energy. Solar energy is a clean and renewable source of power. By utilising the heat of the sun and converting it to solar energy, the greenhouse gases are reduced, thus benefiting the environment.
- Organic beauty products. Since there has been a huge hype in ensuring that everyone can contribute to saving Mother Earth, beauty brands have also ditched the plastic packaging and toxic chemicals they used to use. For millennials, it is always important to look good and save the Earth, thus they patronise products that have the same ideals.
- Bamboo straws. This was invented to help minimise the use of plastic straws. Plastic straws are found to be the 11th most found trash in the ocean and it takes almost 200 years for one plastic straw to decompose.
- Auto shut-off taps. This innovation helps conserve water in our daily lives.
- Grove ecosystem. This controls the method of aquaponics. By putting an aquarium below the garden, the fishes’ ammonia-rich waste product is converted to nitrates which are essential for the growth of plants.
- Highways England. This allows electric cars to be recharged by an electromagnetic field that is buried underneath the road.
- Trinity. This is a wind energy powered gadget that can recharge your electronic devices. This utilises turbines that then produce energy that is sufficient to recharge something as large as an electric car.
- Salt lamps. These lamps can supply light for the entire night with the use of plain water and a tablespoon of salt. If salt is not available, ocean water can be utilised to produce light.
- Sprout pencils. This pencil is multi-functional. It is composed of cedar and a biodegradable capsule of seeds and peat instead of an eraser. Once the pencil is too small to use, you can stick in soil and watch it grow into a new one.
There have been a lot of innovations created by millennials in the past few years. These have also involved the utilisation of the Internet. Imagine, instead of going to bingo halls to play bingo, you can simply play at bingo.com at home and save energy. By doing so, you will save paper and fuel by not going out and at the same time help save the planet.
There are still a lot of ways to help save the environment. You can simply help by throwing away your garbage properly. Or if you really love nature, and you go on hikes to explore its beauty, make sure that you don’t leave a trace.
If we do our part in conserving the environment, our children and grandchildren will also be able to enjoy the beauty that nature has given us.